Thursday, September 29, 2011

Silver fillings and Behcet's (don't worry about them, they are fine!)

The silver fillings debate rears its ugly head on a fairly regular basis. As a dentist, I solved that debate very easily in my practice by not doing silver fillings for the last 12 years. You can request to have the white composite fillings and don't need to have them in silver, thus eliminating the potential for you personally (Actually they are silver amalgam fillings and the controversy is over the mercury that is in the fillings. Mercury makes the filling material soft so it is able to be packed into the cavity. When it hardens it is because of the chemical bond that takes place between the silver, mercury and a few other metals that are mixed together. Being chemically bound is what makes it unable to be free to get into your body and cause problems.)

As far as silver fillings you already have: They are safe, in my opinion. This is also the official word from the American Dental Association. The other side of the debate would have you think that the ADA and dentists in general are just saying that because it is self serving to the dentists. That is just simply not true. But there are many other scientific sources that have research to support the opinion of it's safety also that is independent from the dental community.

One of the most convincing things for me on this subject, however, happened several years ago. The TV show 20/20 (or one of the shows like that) ran a story saying that silver amalgam fillings cause or exacerbate Multiple Sclerosis (MS). They had testimonials from people with MS that they had had miraculous remissions of their MS symptoms after having all of their silver fillings removed. And of course they found various "experts" to support their claims. What happened after the show, however, was the most interesting part.

The MS Society came down hard on 20/20 saying: How dare you put this kind of story out there to MS sufferers. It is unsubstantiated and false information and is giving out false hope to people that already have many challenges in life to deal with. This kind of report will encourage MS sufferers to have unnecessary and expensive dental work done that will place an uncalled for financial burden on people that are already saddled with high medical bills from their appropriate treatment. It was irresponsible reporting and they demanded a retraction, which 20/20 did issue a retraction and an apology. 20/20 is not the kind of show that issues a retraction easily. (This is not an exact quote from the MS society, but the general idea that I remember from watching the show about 10 years ago, so if you look this up and it is not 100% exact, forgive me.)

What my thought is what I have said many times here and will say again. In autoimmunity, inflammation in one part of the body causes inflammation every where else there is inflammation from the disease. So these people that had these miraculous recoveries probably really did have help from having the fillings replaced. But not because of the silver amalgam, but because in having them done they removed inflammation from the mouth. They probably had over hangs on the fillings removed. Some of those fillings probably had a bit of decay under them that feeds the inflammation in the gums and that was removed. A very big side effect of having dental work done is that you become aware of things that you may have ignored for years. So those people, whether they realized it or not, probably started to brush and floss better and more consistently thus reducing their periodontal disease. This is the part of the story that doesn't get told. I would bet you $1000 that the people they quoted on that show had periodontal disease before starting in on removing all of those "evil fillings" and that their periodontal condition was greatly improved by the time they were done with the fillings. Their great improvements in their MS were from removing inflammation from their mouths, not from having the silver removed. (In my humble but very passionate and biased opinion based on 4 years of study, observation and consistent thought on this concept. Sarcasm intended towards the 20/20 reporters).

So if you want to remove the silver filling to make it look better, great! Go ahead. If you want to take it out to help your Behcet's get better, don't count on it, you are wasting your money, in my opinion (And that is coming from someone who makes a living and has financial gain from taking fillings out and replacing them).

David Petersen DDS

2 comments:

  1. It was during my research on HIV/Herpes that I stumbled upon the Hiv/Herpes information; information which is quite easy to find when doing a search for STD on google. I was into conspiracy at the time thought of HIV/Herpes Cured' being a conspiracy was something Ignorance though,I found pretty interesting about herbal medicine. I asked questions about the Herbal cure's on official HIV/Herpes websites and I was banned for doing so by moderators who told me that I was parroting Hiv/Herpes propaganda. This reinforced my belief that there is a cure for Hiv/Herpes Then i found a lady from germany name Achima Abelard Dr Itua Cure her Hiv so I send him a mail about my situation then talk more about it and send me his herbal medicine I drank for two weeks.And today I'm Cured no Hiv/Herpes in my life,I searched for Hiv/Herpes groups to attempt to make contact with people in order to learn more about Hiv/Herpes Herbal Cure's I believed at this time that you with the same disease this information is helpful to you and I wanted to do the best I could to spread this information in the hopes of helping other people.That Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Infertility, ,Epilepsy ,Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpes,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Copd,Diabetes,Hepatitis,I read about him online how he cure Tasha and Tara,Conley,Mckinney and many more suffrin from all kind of disease so i contacted him . He's a herbal doctor with a unique heart of God, Contact Emal..drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Phone or whatsapp..+2348149277967.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a great herbal doctor who cured me of Hepatitis B. his name is Dr. Imoloa. I suffered Hepatitis B for 11 years, I was very weak with pains all over my body my stomach was swollen and I could hardly eat. And one day my brother came with a herbal medicine from doctor Imoloa and asked me to drink and I drank hence there was no hope, and behold after 2 week of taking the medicine, I started feeling relief, my swollen stomach started shrinking down and the pains was gone. I became normal after the completion of the medication, I went to the hospital and I was tested negative which means I’m cured. He can also cure the following diseases with his herbal medicine...lupus, hay fever, measles, dry cough, diabetics hepatitis A.B.C, mouth ulcer, mouth cancer, bile salt disease, fol ate deficinecy, diarrhoea, liver/kidney inflammatory, eye cancer, skin cancer disease, malaria, chronic kidney disease, high blood pressure, food poisoning, parkinson disease, bowel cancer, bone cancer, brain tumours, asthma, arthritis, epilepsy, cystic fibrosis, lyme disease, muscle aches, cholera, fatigue, muscle aches, shortness of breath, alzhemer's disease, acute myeloid leukaemia, acute pancreatitis, chronic inflammatory joint disease, inflammatory bowel disease, Addison's disease back acne, breast cancer, allergic bronchitis, Celia disease, bulimia, congenital heart disease, cirrhosis, fetal alcohol spectrum, constipation, fungal nail infection, fabromyalgia, (love spell) and many more. he is a great herbalist man. Contact him on email; drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. You can also reach him on whatssap- +2347081986098.

    ReplyDelete